Having your liquids properly presented at airport security in a TSA approved quart size bag will not only make your passage through security quicker but will also help those passengers behind you in the line.
A TSA approved quart size bag for air travel is intended to hold any liquids you might be carrying in your carry on luggage. The bag must be no larger than one quart in volume (1 litre in Europe) and must be clear (see-through) and resealable. Quart sized bags are an essential item as they are required by airport security worldwide.
There is little that is more frustrating than being in a hurry to catch a flight, only to be stuck behind some idiot in the security line who has toiletries in their carry on bag that are all over the place rather than being all in one easy to inspect clear plastic bag. Don’t be that person!
Important: Only one of these liquids bags is permitted per carry on bag per passenger.
What is the purpose of a clear bag for liquids?
They are designed to allow airport security staff to easily see what liquids you are carrying in your hand luggage without having to go through all of the items in your bag to find them. This was one of the security features that was added after 9-11, even though liquids actually had nothing to do with that. However, the added advantage is that, should one of the bottles of liquids leak, it will not go over the other contents of your carry on bag, which can happen when they are all separate.
You can read more about the liquids rules in this article – Maximum liquid permitted in carry on on a plane. TSA 3-1-1 liquids rule.
What are the quart size bag dimensions?
The description “quart size” is rather odd to be honest because how can anyone tell what the maximum capacity of a quart sized bag for liquids is?
If it is just a flat bag, such as a sandwich bag, then it doesn’t really have a depth but a more rigid plastic bag such as those recommended below does.
A quart is the equivalent of 57.75 cubic inches
The TSA state that a liquids bag should be no larger than 9 inches by 6 inches but that really only applies to a flat sandwich type bag as in theory that would be 54 cubic inches (0.935 of a quart).
A more rigid bag that was say 2 inches deep could only be 7 inches wide by 4 inches high to keep below 1 quart volume.
Having said all of the above I have never heard of a security agent trying to work out the volume of a liquids bag so as long as you are close to 1 quart you should be ok.
What should you put in the bag?
Firstly, no liquid, nor any of the items listed below, should be larger than 3.4 ounces (100ml). That is the size of the container not the amount of liquid in it. So for example you can’t take a 200ml bottle with 100ml of liquid in it.
This includes the following:
- all drinks, including water
- sprays, which includes shaving foam, hairspray and deodorants
- cosmetics and toiletries, including creams, lotions, sun lotions, oils, perfumes, mascara and lip gloss
- pastes, including toothpaste
- gels, which includes shaving gel, hair gel and shower gel
- contact lens solutions
- all liquid or even semi-liquid foods, which includes soup, honey, syrups, preserves in liquid etc
- any other solutions and items that have a similar consistency to the above
Are there any exceptions?
There are a few exceptions to this liquid size restriction. You may take liquid containers larger than 100ml through airport security if they are:
- essential medication (you should have a letter from your doctor or similar medical professional to show you need it)
- made up baby formula or expressed mother’s milk. But you must have the baby with you, which may sound obvious but just means that you can’t carry it for someone at your destination. It is only for use on the flight and until you get to your ultimate destination.
These may be too large to fit into the resealable plastic bag so can be kept separately. It is probably a good idea to keep them in a sealed bag anyway in case of any spillage of course.
Which quart size bag for airlines to choose?
Well obviously there are a number of different types to choose from when looking for a quart size bag for airlines.
You can use a zip lock freezer bag to carry your liquids in to go through airport security. Liquids can therefore spill more easily as they are floppy and thin so will not stand upright.
For a number of years now I have used a more rigid quart size bag for airlines. These are designed specifically to carry your liquids when flying.
These are all TSA approved quart size bags for airlines:
EzPacking Clear TSA Approved 3-1-1 Travel Toiletry Bag
- TSA APPROVED BAG – Large Airline Travel 1-quart clear plastic bag case for men and women. Due to it being a zipper bag it is more durable than inferior zip-top bags.
- IDEAL – You won’t have to worry about getting through airport security checks with the EzPacking 1-quart clear PVC pouch and you’ll be able to carry on your favorite toiletries in their purchased containers or set.
- VERSATILE – You can conveniently carry liquids, shampoo, liquid soap, lotion, perfume, cosmetics, cologne, medicine or pills of your choosing. This bag is the perfect size for small storage when traveling.
- EASY TO CLEAN – A large opening makes it easy to pack, wash and clean EzPacking vinyl 1-quart rectangular bags. Bag measures a tidy 7.2 x 5.5 x 2.5 Inches.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed! Should you have any issues with our travel bag, just let us know and receive a prompt replacement or refund.
TSA Approved Clear Travel Toiletry Bag with accessories
- Travel bottles : Includes 4 leak proof travel bottles
- Stylish Design: TSA carry on 3-1-1 approved clear high quality easy to clean bag
- Clear Toiletry Bag Size: 1 Quart, TSA Approved, Durable and fits a lot in a small bag. Complete with an upgraded zipper
- 4 Bottles: 100ml / 3 oz , Leak Proof, Refillable 4 colors, Carry your favorite shampoo, cosmetics, lotions and more.
- 2 Folding Travel on the go Toothbrushes: Folds into itself, medium strength bristle, no cover needed.
TSA approved bag with TSA approved refillable bottles
- LEAK PROOF AIRLINE TRAVEL BOTTLES. The silicone travel bottles are soft. They expand and contract with the pressure changes, therefore, they won’t end up blowing out or cracking the lid.
- PORTABLE LANYARD. You can hang the silicone travel bottles with lanyard on the shower head and easily access the individual bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash as needed.
- EASY TO SQUEEZE OUT. The top unscrews to allow you to fill the silicone travel bottles. The screw on lid and dispensing hole provide a strong seal. They still dispense the liquid easily when you press the soft sides.
- EASILY IDENTIFY CONTENTS. The silicone travel bottles have a ring that is pre-labeled which means you do not need to write on the silicone toiletry bottles to show what is inside. You can easily change what you store inside.
- Traveling bottles are not suitable for Hair Serums, Alcohols, Salicylic Acid, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Caustic, Corrosive or Flammable products .