When traveling by air, it is normal to bring along your electronic gadgets like your laptop, headphones, etc. to keep boredom at bay. In our guide, you will know the number and types of electronics you can bring on a plane.
Many passengers on the plane love to bring on board a work laptop and a personal laptop. There are also instances that some people when traveling to a particular country, purchase laptops because they’re cheaper than in their own country.
If you find yourself in this scenario, you might be wondering if you’d be allowed to take a laptop on board, and what’s the maximum number of laptops allowed?
This article will show you how many electronic devices can I bring on a plane.
Different Electronics and Permissions
You can carry your electronic devices on a plane without any specific limitations. However, there are still some rules that you are required to follow. Let’s take a look at different devices and the rules and regulations that come with each of them.
Laptops and Cellphones
- The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has not passed a law on the number of phones and laptops allowed onboard.
- You’re allowed to pass through the security checkpoint at the airport if you have a lot of phones and laptops with you.
- You can put your phones and laptops in carry-on bags with no specific restrictions.
Although, different airlines might have their own specific rules and regulations on the number of electronics you can bring on a plane.
Most times, passengers like to bring their power banks onboard to serve as a spare battery in case their phone or laptop battery is low.
If you’re unsure of whether it’s allowed to bring a power bank on a plane during times of a long flight, then you should know that it is definitely allowed.
However, take note that if you’re ever to bring a power bank on a plane, it must be for personal use, and it must be in your hand luggage, or with you at all times.
Power banks are prohibited from being kept in checked luggage, just like lithium batteries, as they are flammable. There are some limitations on the capacity of power banks you are allowed to bring on a plane.
- Power banks with a rating capacity lower than 100Wh are permitted to be in your hand luggage.
- If the rating capacity of your power bank is within the range of 100 to 160Wh, then you’d need to seek permission from your airline before you can put it in your carry-on luggage.
- Power banks with a rating capacity above 160Wh or those that don’t have specific power are not allowed to be carried on a plane.
Can I Use Bluetooth on a Plane?
Whether or not you can use Bluetooth is dependent on the type of device and the airline. However, we’re going to discuss whether you can use Bluetooth on a plane based on the types of devices below:
|Bluetooth Devices||Permission To Use and Bring|
|Headphones||You’re permitted to bring and use Bluetooth headphones onboard.|
|Earphones||You’re permitted to bring and use your earphones with Bluetooth connectivity on a plane.|
|Phones||You can bring your cell phones and use your phone’s Bluetooth onboard; however, cellular data should be off.|
|Laptop||You can also use your laptop’s Bluetooth while on the plane, but it should be in airplane mode.|
You can use Bluetooth if your electronic devices are in airplane mode. But the plane hostess will ask you to switch off your Bluetooth when the plane takes off or lands.
Your Bluetooth will automatically switch off when your electronic device’s airplane mode is activated. So if you want to use it, you must turn it on manually.
What Are the Restrictions That Come With Bringing Electronics on a Plane?
The following are the limitations that come with bringing electronics on a plane.
- Make sure that you switch off the electronics you put in your check-in luggage. The reason is to ensure that the electronics do not turn on by chance and also to make sure that they’re free from being damaged. Please note that you should not put your devices in do not disturb or sleep mode before putting them in your checked bag.
- You can carry up to 15 electronic devices with you on a plane in your carry-on bag. However, if you wish to carry more, you must seek permission from your airline.
- You’re free to use your cell phones and laptops on a plane, but it’s essential to adhere to the crew instructions on when to turn off such devices.
- Earbuds and power banks are only allowed in your carry-on bag. These devices must not be in your check-in luggage for any reason.
How Many Electronics Can You Bring on A Plane Internationally?
You can bring multiple electronics on an international flight, both in your carry-on and checked luggage.
However, for carry-on items, airlines often require electronics larger than a smartphone, like laptops and tablets, to be removed from bags and placed in separate bins during security screenings.
There’s no strict limit on the number of electronics, but they should fit within your baggage allowance and comply with airline and security regulations.
Always check with your airline and the regulations of both your departure and destination countries to ensure compliance.
How Do They Check for Prohibited Items at the Airport?
Before any bag is allowed to get on the plane, it is first scanned through X-ray to ensure that nothing that can pose a threat while onboard is in it. The officials will remove any harmful or forbidden item if the X-ray brings up something while searching for a bag.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few frequently asked questions related to bringing electronics on a plane:
Why Is My Earbud Case Not Allowed in My Check-in Luggage?
When you don’t turn off electronic devices operated by battery, they can unintentionally turn on, become heated beyond a safe point and catch fire.
What Happens if I Have a Limited Device in My Carry-on Bag?
If any forbidden item or device is seen in your carry-on luggage at the screening point, the airport officials will ask you to give up such things. If you refuse, your airline will be informed about your declination, and you will not be permitted to go beyond the screening point.
Can I carry 4 phones on a plane?
There are no hard and fast rules about how many cell phones you can take on a plane with you. As long as you can switch them on at airport security if requested to prove that is what they are then you should have no problems.
We all love to use our devices, especially when we’re about to take that long flight on a plane. However, there are some limitations to using electronic devices while on a plane. Also, there are some restrictions on the number of electronic devices you can bring on board.
Ensure you pay close attention to the instructions stated at the gate lounge and on the plane before using your electronic device. And if you’re worried about whether the electronic device in your possession will be allowed on board, don’t hesitate to seek permission from the airline personnel.